Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Baby Book Guilt

When I was little I used to love to pull my baby book off of the shelf and ask my mom to read it to me. There were a few entries in it and a lot of blank pages. My older sister's baby book was filled to the brim with first smiles, laughs, teeth, birthday parites and more. I guess that's the curse of the second child. The novelty just wears off.

I bought the most precious baby book for Jake and swore I would write in it everyday.
I'd record every first - sneeze, yawn, cry, smile, laugh, and more. I would diligently detail all of our hopes and dreams and fears for him.
Well, that didn't happen!

The first month I scribbled furiously. Every cough, sneeze, yawn and more were noted and dated. Quantity was emphasized over quality. I aimed to fill every white space with tiny inked print. The second month there are a few entries. I managed to stay pretty on top of things. The third month has jsut two entries, scribbled from memory a couple of days or weeks after the fact. The fourth month there is nothing.

But who needs a baby book when you have a "Mommy Blog"?!

This blog has been an awesome way for me to record Jake's milestones, write my thoughts, and document it all with photos and videos - all with the power of editing! No baby book can do that. So I'm hanging up my baby book guilt and moving ahead with the times. From here on out, it's all about the blog.

No comments: